Monday, September 29, 2014

Beyond The Ice

The Truth about #10 – Melissa Hauptman

Melissa HauptmanIn the illustrious world of sports there are stories told about athletes who share a special connection to the number that they wear on their jersey. In lieu of Derek Jeter’s retirement, several students had shared their connection to wearing number two in his honor. That is until Melissa Hauptman had shared her story.

Hauptman is currently preparing to play her third year as a member of the Manhattanville women’s ice hockey team. She will be sporting number 10 again this season. This number has a special significance to Hauptman and the reason may surprise some.

“The coach of my youth ice hockey team was Ashley Trimble. She was a two-time all American and was a Manhattanville Alumni. When I came to Manhattanville I wanted to honor her by wearing her number. I’ve dedicated to her.” said Melissa Hauptman.

(Ashley Trimble, Manhattanville Alumni)
This was not the first time that Hauptman had been paid a tribute to someone by wearing their jersey number. In fact, one of the most influential numbers for her has been the number 34. Her older brother who had also played ice hockey used to wear number 34.

“My brother stopped playing hockey so that I would be able to play. I don’t think anyone really knows this, but he’s the reason why I wore number 34 for such a long time,” said Hauptman.

She had worn other numbers throughout her years as an athlete including numbers: 2, 12, and 40. However, the most important ones to her have certainly been 10 and 34. They each have a story to tell, and they are much more than just numbers. Hauptman is not only efficient when it comes to ice hockey; she has also played soccer, lacrosse, and softball throughout the years.

It should also be known that for Hauptman numbers go beyond just simply being plastered on the back of her jersey. After her career as a Manhattanville student athlete, she dreams about being able to work for professional sports in regards to stats and information. She wants to be able to look up statistics for teams, players, and/or broadcasters.

“I want to find them and give it to them,” said Hauptman excitedly as she shared her passion. “I have so much information and numbers in my head that I don’t know what to do with them. I remember it all when it comes to statistics, which is something that I don’t forget." 


No comments:

Post a Comment